Monday, March 25, 2013

Is THAT really what I am eating?

I know it has been a while and I apologize....new baby, health problems, etc. But the latter 'excuse' has been a drive for researching the topics I have posted this week on my Facebook page, +The Gluten Free Family.

Oh how we have become the obese, chemical driven society. It's a vicious cycle. Now keep in mind, I am not a scientist, dietician or anything like that. I do my own research and form my own thoughts.
I have been saying since I had an 'epiphany' about 7 years ago that the crap that we have put in to our mouths for decades has reared its ugly head. More cancer, fibromyalgia, unexplained illnesses, celiac disease, etc. We have not been around these engineered foods long enough to evolve around them.

Hydrogenated oil, diglycerides, high fructose corn syrup and those ingredients you cannot pronounce are all factors that have contributed to low cost food that is bad for you. The only thing the manufacturers (some of them are good) are looking at is how much money they will have in their pockets at the end of the day.

Hydrogenated oil is a process that exposes the oil at a high pressure to a catalyst. This process makes the oil, at room temperature, a solid or a liquid. The bad part about this process is that it makes the cells open to whatever comes its way.  According to www.naturalnews.com, this process makes the product ONE molecule away from a plastic....really?! That is what I am eating?

I noticed the Commissary in my area started carrying lard. I am going back to the natural fats...real butter, lard for frying, organic, non high fructose corn syrup and ingredients I can't pronounce....DONE. I will feel better about what I am giving my family. Grow my own garden, every year. I will know what we put in to the soil, so I know the quality of what comes out.

It is scary what we don't know. I think most people don't want to know because that is all they can afford. Or it is easier just picking up a ready made box of whatever from the store. A little research can go a long way. Find a co-op in your area. www.boutifulbaskets.org is a great start. They have different things every week. And if you don't have a location in your area...start one! If you stop to think about how many people will benefit from fresh vegetables and fruits, you will be more apt to start your own site or tell more people about what you are doing to keep yourself and your family healthy!

Happy (Healthy) Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment