Sunday, March 18, 2012

Gluten Free is Not Just for Food


I am a newly proclaimed survival prepper. I can’t say that for the rest of the family just yet. I don’t think they have fully grasped my ideas yet, but I am working on it! But keep in mind, I am just beginning. So first things first!

Water. Water is the key ingredient for everything we do. Keeping hydrated, watering crops, cooking, bathroom necessities, etc. All of these are essential for a long term sustainment off the grid. There is anything from purification tablets to filtration water bottles and for the bigger projects, the systems that sit on your counter. I am opting for a galvanized well bucket and some 55 gallon, BPA free and food safe, water system. It comes with the barrel, siphon Pump, bung wrench and water treatment solution. If you need more barrels after you buy the initial kit, you can go to the Shelf Reliance website and buy the barrel and water treatment tablets..

I also have the added challenge of being gluten free. Costco has the freeze dried Shelf Reliance Thrive brand of survival foods that are gluten free, but what about the other stuff? For those of you with Celiac’s, I am talking about lotions, shampoos, conditioners, etc. According to Glutenfree-lifstyle.com, there are tons of products that are readily available for your use. And they are good for survival kits too. Why should you be without? Pack enough for the whole family and you won’t have to worry about it.

This even gets into paper products. Who knew? Bounty, Charmin and Puffs are all gluten free. Georgia Pacific products have gluten in the adhesive, but not the other parts of the product. Cottonelle and Viva towels are the same way, but I couldn’t find anything on the cardboard.  You can stock up on this stuff for the rest of the family and they will be none the wiser.

I have started a list of gluten free products to research to put on the website www.4theglutenfreefamily.com. I will start publishing the list as soon as I get confirmation from the company that their product is gluten free.
Happy Eating Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment